Old 22-09-2006, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Abraham Evangelista Abraham Evangelista is offline

Default Hornswort question

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 15:19:03 +0200, Marco Schwarz
wrote:

Hi..

I've tried unsucessfully to grow Hornswort for a few
years, and finally gave up. Several months ago I moved,
and in my tank I had a few 1 inch scraps of old hornswort,
barely alive. Today, it is an infestation that I have to
thin periodically. Is Hornswort sensitive to different
water types? I have very soft water right now, where
before it was fairly hard.

Mine in a summer pond in the dark shade of some trees has
been growing heavily this year but in another (sunny)
summer pond it has been competed in a few weeks by water
lettuce..

In a small tank at the souterrain window baby water lettuce
and duckweed are fighting for the gold medal in
displacement.. :-)

In my tanks and ponds Elodea were always able to compete
hornwort..

Heh. My experience was the complete and total opposite of yours. The
hornwort I have in the tanks completely outgrows the elodea, and just
about everything else too! If I don't prune it back at least once a
week, it starts to shade everything else! The elodea grows nearly as
fast, but it's much quicker to shed its lower leaves, and can't keep
up with the predation from the gouramis and kribs in the tank. In
comparison, the hornwort seems to be much less appetizing, so it gets
to grow longer.

In our pond, elodea and hornwort grow just about as quickly, but the
hornwort grows more densely than the elodea. I fertilize the tank,
but not the pond, which may explain the relatively slower growth
despite sunlight.

But neither duckweed nor water lettuce seem to be able to
kill Elodea definitely. Allthough they made it stagnate for
a while..

Not that I'm complaining, but while there's always a stray piece of
duckweed here and there in my tanks, they never seem to expand. I
haven't yet ended up having to pull out the netfulls that everyone
seems to complain about, but there's always a little bit in the tank
and pond.
--
"Oh no! look over there! How did a Chupacabra get into the house? Quick!
Hide all the goats!" - Lisa, Girl's Bravo, English Dub