Old 29-09-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Adding feathers to the compost heap?

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article .com,
"Cat(h)" writes:
| OK, this may sound awfully weird, but here it goes.
| I have just "retired" a couple of feather pillows, and was wondering
| how to dispose of them in the best possible way. Then, it struck me
| that, maybe, it would be OK to add the filling - a mix of small
| feathers - to the compost heap, and take the washed covers to my bring
| centre to recycle the textile.
| What do people think about composting feathers?

If it is a natural fibre cover just put the whole pillow on and water
it well. I did that with an old duvet.

I don't think it is - I'll check the labels, if they are still legible,
but it doesn't *feel* like pure cotton.
Thanks to you and Des for the advice, my old pillows now have a new
purpose in life :-)

Cat(h)