Old 22-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Cass

Default Rose rescue

In article , Radika Kesavan
wrote:

Cass wrote:
Radika Kesavan wrote:

Iceberg

... I had the pleasure (and it was a pleasure) of pruning what
seemed like an eight-foot monster which was simply the bush form of
this rose not too long ago.

I know it's not your favorite, and after that torture by Kirra, who
can blame you.

I might consider getting a grouping of I, BPI and BI may be.

I have BPI in a pot on the patio to beta test just that grouping.

Heheh. It is only the whiteness in any rose that is not my favourite,
but this rose is not *any* rose, is it? It has slowly grown on me in my
long years in California, and I am very impressed by its constant
cheerfulness and no-nagging policy in this climate.

It is a fine fine landscape rose. Grows wonderfully in a pot, even.
Some sniff that it needs to be deadheaded because the blooms turn brown
and don't evaporate. There aren't many roses here that have blooms that
blow away, but there are some. In my climate, I really need to
deadhead for garden sanitation anyway, so I don't mind.

I'd take that burgundy job any day of the week. But Iceberg is a
great rose around here, easy to keep at 6 feet, flowers every 3
weeks, no disease to speak of.

Every 3 weeks. What a nice schedule. That is the same length of time
that the Santa Clara County Library lends their books to us - not four,
not two, not one, but this very odd 3 weeks.

Okay, I made that up, but that's about right.

I thought that this relative of your brother already had Granada?

I ordered it, not shipped or received. Still time to fudge, change
and equivocate. Now I have two to subtract. Or substitute.

Substitute. Don't subtract. Then again, you know that already ;-).

I've decided on Cl. Souvenir de la Malmaison and Leontine Gervais.

... What else did they have at the Home D. that caught your
fancy?

There were plenty, tho nothing I wanted.

So ... go back and get Dainty Bess! You needn't have to have *me* tell
*you* that, right?

I went back and resisted. I think my real calling in rosedom is
climbers, so I can resist, especially since I'm going to "substitute" a
mini and an HT for a rambler and a climbing bourbon.

HehHeheh. Did you detect the misdirection in my arithmetic?

--
-=-
Cass