Old 03-10-2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Dave S Dave S is offline

Default nitrate levels for plants and fish...

"jd" wrote in message
. ..
Hi folks,
my nitrate levels in a 120 are pretty high (for fish anyway - around
40-50), but the plants seemt o be pretty happy - they've really taken off
with the higher levels.... anyone else having this problem? if so, what
taret levels do you shoot for?

the fish seem more or less OK - no deaths, and no real indications of
problems, but before I find some sort of nitrate scrubber, I figured I'd
ask and see what the impact on the plants would be if I lowered the
levels..
thanks
-_JD

Even thought I've tried 2 different test kits (Seachem and Nutrafin), I
can't get mine above 3!! Silly question: If I add nitrogen, will this
increase the nitrAte level.

Thanks - Dave