Old 07-10-2006, 10:10 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj[_1_] ~ janj[_1_] is offline

Default Optimum flow rate through filter.

Brendan wrote:
The pond is the "Eagle" design from the lotus toughline range with a
capacity of 1725 litres (455 US gallons).
We like to see and hear a lot of water on our waterfall, and we also want
to see oxygen entering the water. We have a substantial pump capable of 6000
litres/hour !(1583 USGals/h)

(The Pump is the Laguna Max-Flo 1500/6000)

We also have a filter (with UV) which is suitable for ponds up to 3000litres
(791 US Gallons)

(It is the Green 2 Clean 3000 by Oasis).

I agree that the pump is way too much to flow through the filter, so I have
fitted a T-piece in the hose from the pump with a controlable tap between
the T-piece and the filter. The other output from the T-piece flows back
in to the pond via waterfall bypassing the filter and tap. This T-piece
principle avoids unnecessary strain on the pump.

I can measure the flow of water through the filter by collecting the water
coming out of the filter in to a measured bucket, timing how long it takes
to fill the bucket.

So, you can guess my question...
What is the optimum rate of water to flow through my filter?

This should be in the owner's manual. My guess is 791gallons/hour, if it is
rated for a 791 gallon pond.

What is the general guideline in coming to your answer?

A lot depends on pond size and residents within. The smaller the pond the
more you have to treat it like a large aquarium. Anything under 500 gallons
here in the states is considered an aquarium, so once to twice per hour
isn't unusual. Over 5,000 gallons the flow is often less than once/hour.
Serious show koi people turn their ponds over 1/hour regardless of size.

We have about 15 adult goldfish and about 30 baby-fish

And I'd kind of put that on the upper end of the stocking rate, so I'd
definitely want it turned over 1/hour, imo.

My research has shown conflicting answers.. Some quoting "1 pond-volume of
water every 2 hours", others saying "2 pond-volumes of water every hour"

That's ponding for you. ;-) The above can all be correct, based on size of
pond, size of filter and residents within. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a