Old 10-10-2006, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams[_2_] michael adams[_2_] is offline

Default Armilotox, what strength?

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...

michael adams wrote:
As was pointed our previously, the mushrooms are produced by the

mycelium
which is between 12 and 15 inches underground. The mycelium is the main
fungal body. Its the mycelium which pushes outwards which produce
mushrooms, nit mushrooms which produce the mycelium. Spores merely

enable
fungi to colonise new areas with no mycyleum alreadt present.

But why, like fairy rings mushrooms, other field fungis do not grow in
rings?

4 paragraphs on from the previous quote -

quote

Just about any terrestrial mushroom can pop up in fairy rings. What is
required is simply an evenly composed substrate. Since lawns are tended
environments created by people whose goal is an evenly composed substrate,
they are frequent fairy ring sites for grass-loving mushrooms like
Marasmius oreades, Chlorophyllum molybdites, and Agaricus campestris.

Woods are messier than lawns, and involve territory that is usually not
very consistent in its composition--but every so often one finds a ring
or partial ring created by a woodland species in a rare patch of stable
environment; I have seen species of Amanita and Russula, for example,
fruiting in large arcs in the woods.

/quote

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/fairy_rings.html

michael adams