Old 11-10-2006, 04:03 AM
sunflower_info sunflower_info is offline
Registered User

Quote:
That picture reminds me of something from my childhood. I had 2 uncles
who owned a big farm in Ohio. Mostly they grew corn. Out of countless
thousands of plants on hundreds of acres, sometimes one plant would grow
much taller than all the others. Some sort of genetic mutation or at
least a genetic difference.
Anyway, I remember one day when one of the uncles brought back a really
tall corn plant to show everyone. I don't think it was quite as tall as
the one in the picture but it was very tall.
Steve
the variety I grow is Jala Valley landrace Maize. It's the tallest variety of maize in the world. It's not uncommon to get corn as tall as I had. In fact, I know people that had them about 25 feet or so. I still have one more giant left in the garden that is still growing. I don't know if it's going to get a tassel before frost comes. Had my wife take a pic today. Sorry, but it's a bit dark.