Old 22-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Chinese elm problems

Hi I'm new to Bonsai and gardening in general

Not a good combination. You need to go to the library & read up on basic plant
growth.

My Chinese elm has started dropping its leaves, they turn yellowish in
colour first
then drop off.

I take it you are either in Canada or UK. Try to find the nearest bonsai club.
Local people will be the most help.
Your tree is probably responding to being in the wrong place all winter. Put it
outdoors, starting in full shade, but do not allow it to go below freezing.
Very gradually get it into the sun. Do not overwater. Don't water it until the
soil starts to dry out. Next fall leave it outdoors until it goes dormant &
keep it in a cold location all winter. It should not have any leaves at this
time of year (or just starting to bud).

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."