Old 21-10-2006, 02:39 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default Water restrictions and gardens

gardenlen wrote:

salt is probably in everything even the natural landscape, and salt is
bandied around as someway to influence chat eg.,. there is a recipe on
our site to make liquid detergent for clothes etc.,. i contains 1 cup
of washing soda (salt), i've had people target that cup of salt (mind
you when the regular off the shelf items don't even list salt), and
say that this is not good to recycle in the garden.

Organic matter in the soil will suck up the salts. We have had awful
trouble getting a vege garden to grow here, until a neighbour informed
us that the previous owners had an above ground chlorine pool that they
dismantled each winter and thus dumped all that chlorine into the ground.

Our solution was basically just trucking (almost) in bags of compost
(chicken, cown and mushroom[1]) and layering the garden plots. Mostly
dug in. Eventually it comes good.

[1] How do peeps in Sydney get sheep manure. I keep hearing the greek
gardeners on TVS talking about it. The only source I have (shovel my
own) is 900 kilometres away.