Old 25-10-2006, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default UK Morrison's £5 plants

I was happy to see danny's comment too. I've noticed the same thing.
There's a paucity of good crosses out there. Its almost like Harry
Anderson's comment that 'a fool and his money were lucky to get together in
the first place'. A good orchid hybrid is a stroke of luck. That said I
prefer to buy un-named crosses because when I get a good one its like
finding gold in a stream bed.

K Barrett

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Danny,

Good points, and ones I personally would have never considered, being a
species person.

It also help support the oft-heard advice: Buy all your orchids in bloom!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

danny wrote:
I see a lot of comments about the evils of the mass market growers, but
frankly I don't see comments about some of the obvious evils of the
traditional orchid business. Has anyone noticed that most seedlings of
phals and paphs aren't very good, and if it's a new line of breeding they
are likely to be total crap? This can be especially bad with the
slippers