Old 28-10-2006, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny danny is offline

Default "Baby Orchids".....

A while back I saw something like that at ABG, have no idea what it cost.
Someone had bought this cute little single-plant flask (commercially
packaged) somewhere on vacation and it was confiscated when they came back
into the country because they didn't have paperwork for it. (ABG is one of
the sites where the government can send confiscated plants.)

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
Darn it, Frank took the papers out for recycling this morning so I don't
have a copy of this, and I can't find a link to it on the NY Times site.
But, even if paraphrased, it deserves a mention.

Pictured in yesterday's Times was a lovely bottle (read flask) in which
rested a "baby orchid". The brief accompanying article noted that the
flask could not be opened until the orchid reached the top of the flask,
and that the orchid was sitting on agar. Thirty-something bucks for this
little useless piece of coffee table trivia, which will face certain death
when the owner opens the flask.

Some folks have just a tad too much patience for geegaws!

Diana