Old 31-10-2006, 04:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Rose hip jam

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Following an article in Saga magazine and an item on Woman's Hour, I
went collecting rose hips.
What a business. I had to cook them for ages to get them soft and
kept addiing more water. Then straining off all the pips and hairs
was a real pain. A lot of washing up later I have 3 jars of jam/jelly,
and as much again of the puree to freeze to cook another day.
Has anyone else tried it?
Any tips, or hints to make it easier?
Woman's Hour said the hips are better after a frost, but I went ahead
anyway.
Apparently in Scandinavia "they" swear by it for their joints.
The price of the magic substance, litozin, makes the work worth while!

Pam in Bristol

I'd imagine that the frost helps to soften the hips - maybe the structure
breaks down with freezing?
Perhaps they need that - like sprouts ?

Jenny