Old 31-10-2006, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Rose hip jam

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Following an article in Saga magazine and an item on Woman's Hour, I
went collecting rose hips.
What a business. I had to cook them for ages to get them soft and
kept addiing more water. Then straining off all the pips and hairs
was a real pain. A lot of washing up later I have 3 jars of

jam/jelly,
and as much again of the puree to freeze to cook another day.
Has anyone else tried it?

I've made a lot of rose hip jely over the years. I just boil up the
hips, drain overnight through a jelly bag (made from on old pillow
slip and using an upside down stool where the jelly bag hangs from the
legs and drips into a bowl). I then add the sugar to the liquid next
day and boil till it jels. Not difficult with a jelly bag but I would
imagine it's hell on wheels without one.