Old 02-11-2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Snooze[_1_] Snooze[_1_] is offline

Default Rose in trouble

"Dave_s" wrote in message
A favorite rose of mine that I've had for many years, is in trouble.
The rose has stopped producing any new canes with blossoms.
Canes are dying and more may die soon. A lot of new canes are being
created but they are all at ground level, below the graft, I think.
I think this new growth are suckers, not new blossom bearing canes.

Where can I send jpg pictures so someone can advise me if any of this new
growth is not suckers? IF they are all suckers, how can I cause the
rose to produce canes above the graft? Should I remove all of the sucker
growth? I live near Los Angeles in Southern Calif in San Fernando Valley.

If there are any existing canes from the desirable rose, use it to create an
own-root clone. Using this method:
http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/hulse.html

Otherwise if the graft has died, you'll have to dig it out and replace it
with a new similar rose. That's why grafted roses are considered to be
temporary roses, with an expected lifespan of about 10 years.

-S