Old 04-11-2006, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Rose hip jam

Pam Moore wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:52:24 GMT, "MikeCT" wrote:

I too have made quite a few gallons of rose hip wine using fresh and dried
hips. When making wine with fresh hips, I always used Rohament 'P', an
enzyme that breaks down the cellular structure in fruit, as does placing the
hips in a freezer for a few days. Rohament 'P', readily available from most
good home wine shops, also helps to retain the colour of the hips and
ensures excellent flavour and juice extraction.

I asked in my local wine shop and the nearest they had to the above
product was named something like ROHA-PECT something. It said it is
an enzyme. Is that the same sort of thing?

Yes, same-same. There are various trade-names for pectolytic enzymes.
Just follow the instructions, but paying particular attention to
temperature -- enzymes are of course stopped by high temps. The effect
is different from simply freezing.

A few of us had a discussion here a few months ago: some of us (e.g.
me) swear by pectolytics, while others don't bother, and get good
results. These enzymes are naturally present in greater or lesser
quantities in fruit, but I don't know how much in which fruit.

--
Mike.