Old 15-11-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Fungus Gnats and Pyrethrum

"Just Asking" wrote in message
I have a few questions:

1) Can you kill fungus gnat larvae by drenching the soil with a pyrethrum
based solution?

2) Can you kill fungus gnat larvae with hydrogen peroxide (h2o2)? Will
this kill the plants? If not,
what is the best strength?

How about quick, simple, cheap, non toxic and always works.......would that
suit you?

Sprinkle the surface soil with ground cinnamon. The gnats disappear within
minutes and apparently it kills the eggs and larva because I've never gotten
a re-infestation in the pot. I was taught this trick by a lovely old man who
had two green houses full of orchids and exotic rare plants. I've used this
method for years with my house plants and told numerous friends and all have
had success and no harm done to any of their plants.

I bought a jar of ground cinnamon at the dollar store and tossed it in my
plant stuff bag I keep in the closet. Whatever is in the spice has no
bearing on price for success.

Give it a try,
Val