Old 23-03-2003, 05:44 AM
Bobbett

Default Bareroot Stawberry plant storage

So ... anybody every keep bareroot strawberries in the fridge for a month?
I have a feeling the merchant gets them in all at once and holds them in
refrigerated storage too, but of course theirs is better than a home
version. If you have kept them for a few weeks in the fridge, did you
mosten them at all?

The first time I got them early, I kept them in the frig's crisper.
This year, however (mine arrived last week, too, and I'm zone 6), the
instructions said NOT to put them in a frig where other food was being
housed. To use an extra frig -- yeah, like everyone's got one of those
lying around ;-)

Anyway, I called the company and followed the directions. They said to
take them out of the plastic, wrap their roots in a damp paper towel
(1st yr the instructions were a damp towel), put them back in a plastic
bag so they don't dry out, and put them in a cool place like your
basement. They're in my basement now. I hope they keep.

Bobbett
--
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a
large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.