Old 16-11-2006, 03:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
meeee meeee is offline

Default What will goats not eat?

"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
Mum rang me with a gardening problem regarding goats.....her soil
is dry, sandy, slightly acid and under gum trees. She also
suffers from marauding goats....her own, but still.....so she's
put in a request to all you gardening gurus for plants that will
handle dry conditions that goats will not eat...she will be very
very grateful!! It's sort of dappled shade in some parts and full
sun in others; she likes cottage gardens and already has lavendar
and rosemary growing. Thanks
Goats will eat anything.
They wont eat Electric fenced plants. Mind you it will also
surprise
your Mum at times and give her heart quite a Rev/start.
Lol!! I know.....she needs to do that. I think she thinks it's
charming the way they stare stupidly through her glass doors.....
Er is it the goats or is it her....staring stupidly (no offence,
electric or otherwise) I mean. Goats were designed to eat anything.
Anyone keeping goats that will not eat everything, has a defective
goat or mind. Goats go to great lengths to eat the uneatable. Your
mother will become quite smart after having been butted on the
bbbut. Goats are quite tricky. This is why the devil is sometimes
seen in the guise of a goat.
You cannot trust goats. (All this information was taken of the Net
and is ISO 9001 certified.) (Except the bit about) your mother who
is probably in the spell of "charming goats" Snap her out of it
before its too late... (GRIN!) Dont let her even think about
donkeys.
She thinks donkeys are sweet...enough said. Dad has put his foot down
on that one fortunately. She's quite good at keeping them out of the
vegie garden....many years of trial and error....but she'd like a
'flower garden' out the front. Or any garden. Right now she has lots
of rocks, some dead leaves, sand, aloe vera and lavendar. Oh, and the
rosemary.I might just suggest she gets more of that. I'm going to
have a chat to her about natives too; I'm sure there are quite a few
in the bush around her house that they won't touch, so I think she
should try getting her hands on those.
Where/what place exactly is she?
SE Qld, Granite Belt area. So the soil is basically very fine granite.
I'm not sure about local native nurseries but last I recall there
weren't many for some reason, or they were miles out of town.
It seems the goats are in the wrong area. Theres nothing to eat except
you Mum's garden! (grin!) I reckon she may be in a sparsely populated
and vegetated area. Possibly alkaline soil. suggest getting onto this
site for help

http://www.check-in.com.au/Brisbane/...ns_Nursery.htm

http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/APOL2006/aug06-1.html
As to whats goat resistant, what a question to ask.
Try tin cans? As suggested previously. electrify the garden. Which
reminds me
I once wired a tree with Christmas tree lights, full 240 volts to the
trunk one nice wet day, no trouble with goats, but the tree died.
Shocking.....

Lol you make me laugh.... yes, she is in an open woodland type area, so
not a lot of forage unless you're a roo. Only you can't milk roos. So the
goats get hay, grain etc...thanks for the link, I'll look it up and give
her some names...she seems to think the internet will burn or
something.....thanks for that

Whoops the pohlmans link died. Was OK last night...

I'ls see if I can find another....

I gave her that but she's a fair way from toowoomba, although she goes there
for shopping sometimes so she said she'll pop in and have a chat. Maybe she
should take the goat with her, let it loose in pohlman's, then buy two dozen
of whatever's left.