Old 16-11-2006, 10:35 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_1_] Jonno[_1_] is offline

Default What will goats not eat?

meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
meeee wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
"SG1" wrote in message
Lol you make me laugh.... yes, she is in an open woodland type
area, so not a lot of forage unless you're a roo. Only you can't milk
roos. So the goats get hay, grain etc...thanks for the link, I'll
look it up and give her some names...she seems to think the internet
will burn or something.....thanks for that
Just tell her to cross her index fingers in front when given the info
from the net. It will purify it.
Jim
TFIC

Should she wave a bottle of eucalyptus oil over it?
Try this link from google and take your pick

http://www.homeimprovementpages.com....&search_code=p

Oooh that's very comprehensive. Who knows, she might go on a nursery tour
if I give it to her...Dad's just bought a 'definitely not a midlife
crisis vehicle as it's not a Harley' motorbike so they might start a
nursery crawl.....

Geez I was hoping for an invite to a genu whine invite to a Queensland pub
crawl. Good sites are hard to find. Most of em are under re construction.
It the goats dats did it. Ate all the zero's and one.

Pub crawls are usually every friday night....just pick a pub and join in.
Drink until you get booted out then crawl to the next....that's the
traditional pub crawl......I agree about the garden sites. And it's
definitely the goats. Possibly camels as well. I'm suspecting an alliance...

Yep it was the goats again. Give up all hope for your mum....
Straight from Wikopedia this informing snippet.
This puts goats with animals such as rabbits and other vermin....

A goat is said to be truly useful both when alive and dead, ( I like
this bit, so it doesn't matter if you kill them(grin!)) providing meat
and milk while the skin provides hide. A charity is involved in
providing goats to impoverished people in Africa. The main reason cited
was that goats are easier to manage than cattle and have multiple uses.

Feeding goats

Goats are reputed to be willing to eat almost anything. Many farmers use
inexpensive (i.e. not purebred) goats for brush control, leading to the
use of the term "brush goats." (Brush goats are not a variety of goat,
but rather a function they perform.) Because they prefer weeds (e.g.
multiflora rose, thorns, small trees) to clover and grass, they are
often used to keep fields clear for other animals. The digestive systems
of a goat allow nearly any organic substance to be broken down and used
as nutrients.

Contrary to this reputation, they are quite fastidious in their habits,
preferring to browse on the tips of woody shrubs and trees, as well as
the occasional broad leaved plant. It can fairly be said that goats will
eat almost anything in the botanical world. Their plant diet is
extremely varied and includes some species which are toxic or
detrimental to cattle and sheep. This makes them valuable for
controlling noxious weeds and clearing brush and undergrowth. They will
seldom eat soiled food or water unless facing starvation.

Goats do not actually consume garbage, tin cans, or clothing, although
they will occasionally eat items made primarily of plant material, which
can include wood. Their reputation for doing so is most likely due to
their intensely inquisitive and intelligent natu they will explore
anything new or unfamiliar in their surroundings. They do so primarily
with their prehensile upper lip and tongue. This is why they investigate
clothes and sometimes washing powder boxes by nibbling at them.

Goats will consume, on average, 4.5 pounds of dry matter per 100 lbs of
body weight per day.