Old 23-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Peter James

Default Bumpy lawn+lots of moss!!

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 19:47:46 +0000, john fraser
wrote:

In article , Bazza
writes
I'm not after a bowling green but

I'm not really hijacking your query Barry but I also have a serious prob
with moss. On checking prices of lawn sand and other proprietary moss
killers I realised it'll cost me an arm and a leg as I have roughly 50mx
70m of grass to treat. I seem to remember from the ice age in Mr
Hessayons book " how to be a lawn expert" that sulphate of iron was
effective. True?? Does anyone know what dosage of it I should use in a
lawn spreader? Should I mix in some nitrogen fertiliser to give the
grass a boost? Could I mix in some coarse sand to create my own lawn
sand? TIA
(I have been here before but it's been a while since I posted. I see
the levels of personal abuse are still well up to the old standard)

The real problem with your lawn is drainage. Short of re-building the
lawn have you tried slotting and tining. You can hire the machine to
do it, it's effective and it will definately improve your lawn's
appearance. The other thing to do is to de-thatch it. You can hire a
scarifier as well, and the two operations will rejuvenate your lawn
dramatically.
-
Peter James
Change AT to @ to reply