Old 29-11-2006, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Gardner Tom Gardner is offline

Default OT keeping chickens

"Keith Kent" wrote in
:

Any of you keep chickens? I am thinking of getting 2 or 3? I am
looking up info and reading a book.I was thinking of keeping them
about 50 ft away from the house.A friend said he would put them at the
very bottom of the garden due to attracting rats.But my garden is
about 225 ft long so they wouldnt be in view from the house.What do
you think?I am also going to build myself a chicken coup and run so
any advise would be much appreciatted. Thanks Keith

I had similar thoughts, but my daughter did the research
and convinced me otherwise. She was correct, and has
summarised her experience on http://www.allaboutchickens.tk/

No noticable rat problem, probably due to:
- food kept in metal dustbin
- coop raised 18" off ground, too high for
rats' comfort
- 1/2" chicken wire mesh, too small for rats
and wild birds
- cleaned out regularly, at least weekly with
three birds

Consider
- reading Country Smallholding or Practical Poultry
to get an idea of possible coop and run designs
(available from large WHSmiths etc)
- roof over run to reduce chance of avian flu being
transmitted from wild birds' droppings
- coop floor 18" off ground
- is much easier to clean than one at ground
level
- provides birds with shelter from rain
- enables natural dustbathing and scratching
around even when it has been raining
for a long time
- any grass will be destroyed in two or three days;
either move them frequently and let the grass
regrow and/or reseed itself, or just keep the
coop/run in a single place
- make the run 5' high, so you can get inside it
yourself