Old 30-11-2006, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Wollemi Pine

Peter Jason wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote
in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:
On 29/11/06 16:15, in article
,
"Charlie
Pridham"
wrote:

"Peter Jason" wrote in
message
I have a Wollemi Pine and need to prune
it
now & then.

Can someone advise how to propagate
from the
cuttings?

Regards

Thought you needed a license to
propagate them?
Are you having to prune it because its
inside? otherwise why bother?

I didn't think any of the ones now being
sold here or in Aus would be of a
size to prune yet, including the one
pinched from Kew!

I find they're growing at half a metre a year in Oz and being sold
almost as grow-anywhere-anyhow trees. There's a bit of a craze on,
which I don't think will last even until they start being classed as
nuisance trees in small gardens -- which I think will happen. And we
just can't be certain of a tree's behaviour when we've only known about
it for twelve years.

This very mysterious. I really don't think
Peter should prune it at
all, and I don't understand the "need to
prune it now and again". But
since he acquired it lawfully and there are
so few in private hands, he
should go straight to the Royal Botanic
Gardens for advice rather than
ask us to speculate -- they took a
four-figure sum from him, after all.
I don't think licensing issues arise if
there's no intention to sell
the youngsters, unless there's some special
measure in force in Aus for
extreme cases like this.

--
Mike.

They're easily available here from nurseries
at $50/50cmplant, and $90/100cm plant.

That's amazing. I've just had a look at Forest NSW. I didn't realise
they'd been able to bulk up the stock so quickly, and was stuck in the
time when the few specimens available for sale were priced in the
luxury bracket. Heynes in SA say it'll stand pretty hard pruning, but
wait till winter: see their factsheet at:
http://www.heyne.com.au/gardencentre...ing+fossil.htm

I did a bit of a Google.au on "wollemi pine cuttings", but gave up
after a few pages. It seems they do well, though you get different
forms from tip and side cuttings. With a strong rooting hormone they
apparently strike in about six months in coarse sand, after which you
transfer to a conifer mix and pot on as necessary.

--
Mike.