Old 05-12-2006, 06:35 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general
TG'sFM TG'sFM is offline

Default Isn't it funny how...

lynx wrote:
Jen wrote:

"TG'sFM" wrote in message
ps.com...

"The grass clippings left behind by a mulching mower essentially
function as a lawn fertilizer, as if you were applying compost to the
lawn.

Compost gets to very high temperatures, that's another reason compost/grass
clippings should be composted first.

As for fertilising, like someone else said, dead organic matter takes
nutrients *out* of the soil until it's properly composted.

We're not talking about compost or grass clippings tho. The mulch
produced by mulching mowers is extremely fine. It doesn't need composting.

Look who's backpedalling now. It doesn't matter how fine it is, it is
still bad for the lawn. Besides, if you cut 1 inch off your grass, the
mulching mower will at best produce two (2) equal half inch pieces of
grass. And we won't even go off on a tangent about how the lawn will
then require dethatching every few months if you do this - otherwise
you are going to have to mow your "lawn" higher and higher each time.