Old 05-12-2006, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Jolly Fisherman Jolly Fisherman is offline

Default Don't order fish

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:37:39 -0600, Köi-Lö wrote:

"Jolly Fisherman" wrote in message
.. .

The last time I was at the local Petsmart (20 mins away) I overheard
an employee complaining about how they used to carry such wonderful
stock but don't have the variety anymore. I'm convinced that in these
neighborhoods at least, the fish livestock don't really move and are
or are viewed as a loss leader for the dry goods. But that's just my
local assessment.

===========================
I'm clueless as to what kind of area you live in but get the impression
you're not near any cities or large towns. You may have to plan a trip or
two to another city some distance away. A bigger city where there would be
more turnover of their stock. And CALL the store to make sure the shipment
came in before you dive or take a bus or train there.

I know I must sound like a hick. Believe it or not I do actually live
near a major metropolitan area. But I've got 2 problems on my hands.
I'm currently interested in the less common FW stuff, and like the DIY
approach.

In these suburbs where I live ppl basically seem to either pay a
premium for a big custom tank or pond and get installation and
maintenance service or they buy a common fish and small bowel or tank
cluelessly for the kid, kill it, and then move on from the hobby.
Frankly my neighbor looks down on my tanks because they aren't huge &
marine. (If only the FW hobby was as cheap as she assumes).

I've found a couple of good shops but clearly need to do some more
exploring...