Old 08-12-2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Nikki Casali[_1_] Nikki Casali[_1_] is offline

Default Florida Driftwood's automated pH controller

Jolly Fisherman wrote:
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 01:25:39 +0000, Nikki Casali
wrote:

Jolly Fisherman wrote:
Is anybody here familiar with the following automated pH controller?
http://www.floridadriftwood.com/product.asp?3=42

Seems better than the Milwaukee sms122.

I wanted to know:
- who is manufacturers this product and the model number?
- Is there a link to the manual online available?
- Does the unit come with any warranty?

Florida Driftwood has not responded to my email yet. I called their
listed tel number during the proper hours and got a fax machine.

Have ppl had better experiences buying from them?

I think I can help you he
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/The...&lnk=ol&hl=en&

Thanks.

I own the pH controller myself but bought it from a supplier in the UK.
It's probably made in China but identical to the more expensive
AquaMedic pH controller and just as good. If you read the link above,
FloridaDriftwood appear to have issues sending working pH probes.

Nikki

Are you happy with your controller? Would you recommend it?

It does its job, which is to convert a voltage from the pH probe to pH
units of measurement and to switch a solenoid at a preprogrammed set
point. There's not much to go wrong. pH probes are another kettle.

I was thinking of getting the Milwaukee sms122. I hesitate as I
understand it requires monthly recalibrating.

It's the pH probe that will drift that will require the controller to be
adjusted. Nothing varies within the controller itself to warrant a
recalibration on that count - unless the components are adversely
affected by ambient temperature change. A monthly recalibration is just
a guideline. I recalibrate my controllers once a week because I find the
probes can drift a bit and can be affected by algae build up.

I have read the Pinpoint PH Controller can be annoying to calibrate
but can keep it's calibration much better.

The probes that come with the controller may be more stable.

Not sure if the Pinpoint
or Aqua Medic pH controller or computer warrant the extra expense.
Also not clear if there is an inexpensive Dupla controller or what
else is available in the US.

I have the analogue Aqua Medic controller too. There's no functional
difference between that and the cheap 203. The Aqua Medic computer
(digital) version simply allows you to enter calibration values via a
keypad instead of fiddling with analogue knobs. I think you can also
adjust the hysteresis of the set point. Personally, it isn't worth the
extra cost.

Nikki