Old 09-12-2006, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan Carl 1 Lucky Texan is offline

Default Thornes, spines and Stinging Nettles!

chatnoir wrote:

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

chatnoir wrote:

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

chatnoir wrote:

Living near a particularly revolting bar, I am subjected to repeated
trespass or my property and destruction ot same! In the front I
planted stinging Nettle! A major success although of questionable
legal standing! Are there any plants with spines or thorns that will
do the same job with less legal impact?

Might depend on where you live (zone/water,etc.) and your local
'setback' and utility eaements etc. But , in many communities, a close
neighbor would actually havr to register a complaint for most plants I
think.

check out pyracantha.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1707/index.html

Carl

Looks great and is not a pest plant outlawed for selling as some I have
looked at such as Yellow Star thistle - and I can see why that is
outlawed!! I am in zone 5 and xeriscape and like to attract bees!
Liiks good but No vendor listed@

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/p/pyrcoc/pyrcoc1.html

Looks like some varieties are pretty well tamed!

http://www.forestfarm.com/search/sea...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

or
http://tinyurl.com/sel8h

Carl

This is what I always find interesting and confusing!

The Forest Farm site:

http://tinyurl.com/sel8h

Pyracantha angustifolia 'Gnome' (R) COMPACT FIRETHORN Dec (z5)

Pyracantha coccinea 'Harlequin' VARIEGATED FIRETHORN EG (z7)

But Daves Plants lists it as!:

Pyracantha angustifolia - USDA Zone 6b: to -20.5° C (-5° F) as the
limit

Pyracantha coccinea - USDA Zone 5a: to -28.8° C (-20° F) as the limit

The USDA site tends to support Dave's plants Position:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PYRAC

I mean over the years I have bought Xeriscapic plants with XXXXX rating
- Could grow on Venus essentially! They are the first to fold in a
heat wave! Wii try the Pyracantha coccinea!

Perhaps some of the cultivars are more sensitive than the species?

I dunno

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)