Old 12-12-2006, 08:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

Default lemon and mandarin trees

"Ivan" wrote in message
ups.com...

It sounds as if though there isn't much hope for my trees.. =(
I'll buy some scissors and start prunning the mandarin tree, as well as
being able to determine where the break is on the lemon's trunk..

I disagree. I'm from Victoria, it's very hot here at the moment, all the
plants are suffering. Only prune off damaged parts, prune properly in Spring
next year.

Should I remove all the mandarines from the tree?

Absolutely.

Also, it looks as if though the mandarin tree has never been prunned --
Is there a guide I should follow when doing so?

More a matter of thinning it out, to let the light get to all parts of the
tree.

I'll also be buying some citrus fertilizer at the store in the next few
days and start feeding them.. Hopefully will be able to bring them back
to life..

It may be too dry and hot to fertilize at the moment. I would wait till
Autumn. Also fertilising sick plants, can definitely kill them.

The tree next door has many bright, yellow lemons..
Mine has about three bright and yellow ones.. The rest are green and
not developed yet..

I hope this doesn't mean that my tree is dying..

Don't think so. Keep them mulched to cool the roots, and keep them damp,
but not wet, and see how they are come Autumn.

Jen