Old 13-12-2006, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default lemon and mandarin trees

Jen wrote [in part]:
"Ivan" wrote [also in part]:
Also, it looks as if though the mandarin tree has never been prunned --
Is there a guide I should follow when doing so?

More a matter of thinning it out, to let the light get to all parts of the
tree.

Be careful about letting light into the center of the tree. Citrus bark
is easily damaged by sunburn. Commercial growers near my home leave a
lot of foliage to shade the trunks of their citrus orchards.

I'll also be buying some citrus fertilizer at the store in the next few
days and start feeding them.. Hopefully will be able to bring them back
to life..

It may be too dry and hot to fertilize at the moment. I would wait till
Autumn. Also fertilising sick plants, can definitely kill them.

On this, I must disagree. Citrus does better with frequent light
feedings throughout the growing season than with a single annual
feeding. Further, if there is any chance of winter frost in your area,
stop feeding about two months before the expected first frost and don't
start again until about two weeks before the expected last frost. Thus,
a significant fall feeding might be very wrong. (Of course, I don't
know if you are in a climate that is entirely frost-free. I live in a
part of southern California that remains a prime citrus growing area --
especially lemons -- and we get light, overnight frosts every winter.)

When you feed, water thoroughly about 1-2 days before. Feed and then
water thoroughly again. You can kill a citrus tree by feeding in dry
soil and then watering, which burns the roots.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

I use SeaMonkey as my Web browser because I want
a browser that complies with Web standards. See
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/.