Old 24-03-2003, 02:08 AM
shannie

Default Stuff I've been doing this week!

I've only been posting and reading with this group for a few weeks now and
have had wonderful, helpful, insightful and very polite feedback to the
questions I have posted. For that thank-you
From reading the posts here I have gathered that despite the trials and
tribulations, the rush and hurry of modern living there are still lots of
people who have a genuine love of gardening and that is a wonderful thing.
I had been planning my 'veggie project' for a long time, personal
circumstances meant I had to hold off for a number of years, but this week
Im proud to say it has all started in earnest. Over the past ten days I've
dug, raked, fertilised and generally prepared the ground. I've built not one
as originally planned but two cold frames (with some help from the group
here) Yesterday I planted cauli, sprouting brocolli and cabbage seeds in
said frames and some everlasting sweetpea for round the outside to attract
the bees etc. Today I planted small amounts of onion seeds, from red to
white to salad to spring to mediteranian, one third of a crop of three
different peas and some lettuce seeds. Every member of this group sould take
a bow, without seeing the absolute dedication you all put into your gardens,
the failures and the success's I think I may have left it another year.
Thanks group, if Im lucky enough to actually have anything grow be sure
you'll be hearing about it!
(apologies for such a long post)

--Shan (Ireland)

shannie(AT)utvinternet.ie

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Trying to clear a twenty year old compost heap riddled with
ivy and couch grass.

I topped up a raised bed I started and planted some strawberries,
early and late varieties.

Started to dig over what was left on the compost heap with a view
to planting some early potatoes, just to use the ground for the moment,
I intend to plant rhubarb in that spot next year.

Nearly forgot, I had my annual bonfire earlier, but it looks as though
I'm going to have two this year!

Spent a lot of time just resting, cos my knees are playing up!

Alan