Old 24-03-2003, 05:56 AM
JimS.

Default Fish Emulsion.

"Huskies4all" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
Fish emulsion is made from fish themselves, with some processing.
Somewhere on a State of Alaska website is directions for homemade fish
emulsion involving soaking fish collars in a 50 gallon barrel for 10 -
14 days. Of course, considering how that smells, you might have to stay
in a motel for the last 7.

LOL! I'm used to it, to some point. I haven't lived on the hatchery for
about 8 years now, so it's a bit of a shock to the nose at first when I
do visit, but trust me, I have firsthand knowledge of how dead fish
smell. P.U. I may have to raid the "mort" pits.

I wonder how the manure would do. I might have to try and add some to
compost, or some such thing. I know that some farmers around here (fish
capital of the US) do use the liquid fish manure on fields, though most
use dairy manure. It's usually applied in the fall and left to sit all
winter.

Thanks for the links...will check it out.
CJ

One advantage of the ready-made fish emulsion, it hardly smells. I don't
know how they do it, but it doesn't have an overwhelming odor. Once you've
diluted it and watered your roses with it, you can't smell it at all. Plus,
it's really cheap. It's less than $10 a gallon around here, and that will
last you a LONG time-- hardly worth all the mess if do-it-yourself. But
one other "fringe benefit"...if you have pets, keep the container out of
their reach. I doubt it's dangerous, but my cat does seem to think the
stuff is his very own version of Hershey's syrup. bleh

JimS.
Seattle