Old 24-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Cass

Default Waiting for that first bloom!

Huskies4all wrote:

This year I'm waiting with bated breath...I FINALLY got my Great
Grandmother's 100+ year old rose bush to grow from a digging. (tried for
5 years to get a cutting to take with no luck) It has leafed out
wonderfully, and I can't wait until I get a bloom.

I have a pic of the tiny thing as of 2 days ago he
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/huskies4a...src=ph&.view=t

Wow. No wonder you wanted to save that rose! What a beauty. So as I
recall, you tried for a number of years to take cuttings and you
finally dug up a sucker...which looks like it wants to grow. What
beautiful flowers! Scent? Does it rebloom? I ready your original post,
where you described it as a once bloomer. What state is this in? How
big is that shrub? Looks 6 - 8 feet tall. And what color is it? Looks
golden to buff washed with cerise to crimson. This rose should be
preserved. Whoever owns that rose now, I think you said he wouldn't let
you dig it up, should be persuaded to let you take more "samples" so
you can be sure that several plants survive.

You need to give this rose a study name that you and everyone else can
used as a reference. What was your great grandma's name? What's the
name of the city or county?"_________'s Blushing Gold".... "Grammy
___________'s Golden" ....... "___________'s Golden Glow" , "Grandy's
Gold..." Heritage Rose Groups like the study name to not be too long
and to include a geographic reference. So....what's the name?