Old 24-03-2003, 07:20 AM
Mike

Default Unruly Red Ribbons

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, "Allegra" wrote:
"Mike" advised

Alright Sneezy, you win. But don't go getting a big head about it now. It
was pretty much in the bag from the beginning. g

Don't you know it? Playing with loaded dice and then it
is my fault! Do you get Heirloom catalogue? That is some
of the best rose porn in existence. I could fall for a HT if
I didn't know better...

Keep your fingers crossed for a bit of sunshine. I have to
transplant some 15 to 20 roses I have kept in 2-gallon
pots for the winter by the southern wall -they were all
bands from either Heirloom or Vintage - and they are
rearing they are so ready. But I am not going to risk
pneumonia if the rain continues and the garage is not
a good place right now to put anything more inside of it.

Something about black holes....;)

Allegra

Heirloom will be here soon. I've ordered Darlow's Enigma. Now I'm done for
the year (HA!) I've heard about their catalogue. Gotta have it.

The only HT I have is Oklahoma. I think. It was here when I moved in.
Realtor flowers. Nothing planted here except that rose and two hideous
orangish-red minis in the front yard planted right up against a wall with
grass underneath. Anyway, it's an obvious HT with high centered blood red
blooms, one to a stem and stingy with the foliage. Tiny hair-like prickles
cover the canes. Nicely fragrant, though. I whacked the heck out of it this
year when I pruned in an attempt to get it to fill out a little. It seems
to have appreciated the severe pruning. Maybe it won't be 6' tall, 2' wide
with 4 blooms and a dozen sets of leaflets this year. That would be neato.

Well, Farmer's says you'll be rainy this week. Farmer's says a lot of
things, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I feel kind of guilty
enjoying all this yard work while you're under the clouds. I mowed today
and wandered the beds afterwards, pulling a few stubborn weeds (how do they
get through that mulch???) and lusting after the rosebuds. Whoever blooms
first this year gets to sit next to the new gazing globe. I promised.

Mike
z8TX