Old 24-12-2006, 08:02 PM
cheesewhiz cheesewhiz is offline
Registered User

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Talking

I have a small garden pond in West Michigan, USA. This past summer I had frogs spawing in it resulting in a great many tadpoles that, I assumed, would either die off or turn into adult frogs and go and do whatever it is frogs do. Today 12/24/06 I went out to skim some leaves off the surface and to my surprise I saw (and even caught one in my skimmer) multiple tadpoles still alive. Now granted it is still unseasonably mild here (low 40's F) but earlier this winter we had sustained lows in the teens and 20's F. The adults don't survive these temperatures and I am shocked to see that the young ones do. If this thread is still active in spring I will let you know if they made it over winter. BTW these are not bullfrog tadpoles but those of leopard frogs. I don't know what species you have in the UK.

Dave