Old 01-01-2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kimberly Kimberly is offline

Default Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

"gonzo" wrote in message
ups.com...
| My own recent interest in open pollinated varieties, some heirloom,
| have led me to Seed Savers Exchange:
| http://seedsavers.org/Home.asp
|
| These guys currently get the lions share of business from me, just this
| year I purchased a membership. I believe their work is important, in
| preserving heirlooms, maintaning a vigil against genetic modification.
|
| I've purchased from Johnnys Select Seeds, lots of variety. Prices seem
| to have gone up faster than inflation recently..
|
| Burpee occaissionally.
|
| Jungs because they seem to have consistantly lower costs - but
| sometimes you get what you pay for.
|
| Thompson & Morgan, they sometimes have varieties not available
| elsewhere.
|
| Gurneys, that discount can be pretty good if they carry something you
| wanted to get anyways, like fruit trees or grapes..
|
| How about yourself?

Well I get them locally from the farmer's supply store or Home Depot or
Wal-mart. I always bought tomato plants but last year (haha) I used some
seeds I'd gotten from somewhere and they did so well that I had the best
year ever for tomatoes. That's why I decided to just do seeds this year. I
never buy okra seeds, which is my biggest crop.

I have noticed that changing just a few little things makes a huge
difference in the outcome. Some are in my control and some are not so
trying different things makes for more success. I thought I would find out
where others are getting their seeds.

Just in case anyone is interested. I'm in Zone 7b. At least I was before
the changes. Now I think I'm firmly in Zone 8 in Georgia. All the
terminology and Zone stuff isn't something I've studied in depth. I just
know how to grow things. It's fun to save seeds so I save the ones that
are easily saved.

Thanks for asking. You gave very good information, thanks for that also.

Kimberly