Old 24-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Peter James

Default Bumpy lawn+lots of moss!!

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 13:16:26 +0000, john fraser
wrote:

You can hire the machine to
do it, it's effective and it will definately improve your lawn's
appearance. Cost? Roughly?

s Thanks again. Usually one finds reasonable advice on the URG and I
confess I'm tempted by Nick Maclaren's solution.

I was a member of a bowling club that had no money and very little
equipment. We needed to slot and tine our green and later in the year
to scarify it as well. We hired the necessary machine from the local
golf club who were delighted to do the job for us. The cost I seem to
remember at about £40 for hollow spiking and tining. It took about
three hours on a full sized bowling green of 42 yards x 42 yards.
That left us to top dress with lawn dressing with a small amount of
grass seed mixed in with the dressing. The results were very good,
and worth the money. We managed to buy a scarifier later in the year
and the amount of dead moss and grass that maching pulled out was
staggering. We were burning that for what seemed days. Very
effective, and with small quantities of moss dressing solved our
problem. But you have to hollow spike one year in three and solid
spike the other two years. It might be worth considering if your lawn
is that sort of size, and if you are concerned about moss and general
degradation.
-
Peter James
Change AT to @ to reply