Old 06-01-2007, 10:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Air conditioners

"gardenlen" wrote in message
(snip
and all because we aren't designing houses to suit our climate.

this is incomprehensable realy? how many of these units are there
installed around the country and how many are using more than 20
litres per hour?

(snip)

preach it, len!!!111

i'll tell you one thing (which you undoubtedly know a version thereof). we
lived in a semi-detached worker's cottage in the inner-west of sydney (the
only part of sydney that gets hot, as a rule ;-) the whole thing was only
about 5m wide, but our back area, the part that faced west, used to get so
insufferably hot in summer. the 2nd summer we were there, we put in a
passionfruit to cover the back, which it did very quickly (being only 5m
wide) and after that, the difference was utterly amazing. if we were
better-off people who owned the house (we rented) we might have put in a/c.
but, not only do i have a set against a/c anyway g, but we weren't in any
position to do that.

how many people have a similar situation where their house is becoming very
hot but they don't think to use a deciduous vine to fix the situation?
(plus, we got passionfruit out of the deal as well ;-)

and here i am wondering about the sheer waste of drinking water to
simply flush urine away.

even in these unsutiable for our condition inefficient homes does any
one ever look to passive cooling before they waster resources?

some of us do, some of us don't, and some of us have forgotten how. really
old people who remember very hard times never seem(?) to be the first to do
what people used to do to fix basic problems in a simple but sustainable
way.
kylie