Old 07-01-2007, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg Salmon Egg is offline

Default pelleted seeds?

On 1/6/07 6:33 PM, in article
, "higgledy"
wrote:

What is a pelleted seed? I saw this on Johnny's Selected Seeds

I think that it is a method for greatly increasing the cost of a seed beyond
what the market would ordinarily bear. Supposedly the pellet contains
fertilizer and other goodies to help the seed start out well. In practice, I
have not gotten better germination rate.

In the old days, you could get maybe a gram of tomato seed in a packet. Now
many seed packets contain about 100mg. Even that was too many seeds. By
pelletizing, you are down to 20 seeds per packet.

The idea of pelletizing may be innovative, but my guess is the main benefit
is a fatter bottom line for the seed companies that push it.

Bill
-- Fermez le Bush