Old 07-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Weng Weng is offline
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidoofus
Pretty l'il pale pink pleione, bought as a single bulb years ago.
Flowered two seasons. Since has grown more new bulbs. Currently has
five bulbs in a 2" x2" pot of pine needles. No flowers for last few
years. No insect traces or troubles.

Queries:
Should it be repotted before it gets too crowded (or do they like to be
crowded to flower)?
Should it be repotted into a shallow dish?
Best growing medium - is it really pine needles?
Do pine needles have to be a specific species? (If not, source is no
problem, just a ten minute walk up to a formal garden with pine needles
everywhere)
While I have read that pine needles are good, I have always grown mine in equal parts of perlite, farmyard compost & composted bark. They flower every year without fail. Replanted in Dec & Jan, single mature bulbs will flower in Spring without problems. Certainly no need for crowding.

I wonder if you are protecting them from the cold? I did that when I first started, and they won't flower.

Weng