Old 07-01-2007, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default Horse Manure

: A silly question from a person born and raised in a city and only ever
: having veggies from a supermarket, nicely washed and packaged !
:
: Adding horse manure to soil for growing veggies - could you get the
: screaming abdabs from the manure, some deadly disease or nasties of
: some kind? I see some fellow allotment holders adding fairly fresh
: manure to their soil, and I wonder how healthy it is to eat veggies
: grown in it?

As Robert has pointed out use rotted manure and if you are organic make
sure that the horse owners are not giving the horses medication, I think
that we have discussed this topic before and I am still not sure how
long it takes the drugs to become safe.

kate