Old 07-01-2007, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Transplant a christmas tree

wrote:
ziz wrote:
I have a christmas tree (don't know what sort but the basic one) in my back
garden which has grown to about 12 feet. I would like to transplant it to
another location in my garden.
Can anyone advise me on how to do it? ie best time of year, best method etc.

I'd have thought there was a 30% chance it would not survive moving no
matter how you do it.

[...]

The tree and root ball will weight an awful lot and you will need
mechanical assistance to lift and move it. A 12 foot tree is quite
large.

Or you could pay someone to do it. Or plant a new one.

Hard work and a serious risk of failu even if it survives, the shape
may be lost. I'd get a new one, unless the old one has great
sentimental value (nothing wrong with that in a garden): it's probably
a Norway spruce, and they're deservedly cheap. It'll get that tall soon
enough, as they can reach something like thirty or forty feet in
fifteen years. Now's a good time for both moving and replacement.

--
Mike.