Old 07-01-2007, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Oxymel of Squill Oxymel of Squill is offline

Default Horse Manure

how do you know when it's sufficiently rotted? I bring home a souvenir from
my riding lesson each week and stash it in a corner of the garden, I dug
some into next year's potato patch when it looked a bit discoloured, but I'm
really no conoisseur

You should use well rotted manure as fresh manure will take nitrogen from
the soil in the decomposing process although this will right itself in a
while. There are always risks in dealing with soil even without manure
although for a normal sensible gardener these are very much kept in
proportion by cleanliness and proper immunisation. You should always
ensure
that you are up to date with tetanus immunisations and wash any cuts
thoroughly. Have a look at the article on our website concerning tetanus,
there is a link on the home page. www.rraa.moonfruit.com
With plenty of horse manure or any other, used correctly, you will have
crops to rival anything for taste and health