Old 08-01-2007, 03:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Horse Manure

"Jack" wrote in message

Adding horse manure to soil for growing veggies - could you get the
screaming abdabs from the manure, some deadly disease or nasties of

some
kind? I see some fellow allotment holders adding fairly fresh

manure to
their soil, and I wonder how healthy it is to eat veggies grown in

it?

I add fresh horse manure to the tops of my veg beds every winter (and
when I say fresh, some of it would have only come from the horse's
rear end a couple of days before). It sits all winter with a mulch on
top and come srping, I rake off the mulch and dig over the bed (or
somtimes just clear planting spots depending on what it is I'm
planting) and I find it's fantastic stuff for improving my clay soil.

The only warning about horse manure is that there is some suggestiont
hat the vermicides that are givent o cope tih worms int he horses gut
could kill garden worms. I don't know if that's right but I guess
it's possible. My worm population explodes after I use hosre poop on
any bed so either my supplier is not using vermicides (which I doubt
as she has Warmbloods and they are too bloody expensive to ignore good
care) or, she hasn't treated them recently when I pick up the manure
or, my worms survive anyway. I LOVE horse poop (fresh I find is
better than old).