Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Horse Manure

"K" wrote in message
Farm1 writes

The only warning about horse manure is that there is some

suggestiont
hat the vermicides that are givent o cope tih worms int he horses

gut
could kill garden worms.

The worms in a horse's gut are not related to earthworms, though I
suppose a broad-spectrum vermicide could affect a wide range of
creatures.

When we still had horses, the vermicide we gave them was a broad
spectrum one. I dont' know if it would kill soil worms or not and
have only noticed that I get more worms after using the manure.
However, I have consistently read this as being a warning about using
fresh horse manure (especially sourced from racing stables) but I have
certainly wondered if it's just an old gardener's tale.

I have so often read of the 'need' to pile horse manure but I know
from experience that such isn't the case. I do lots of other thing in
my garden too that would be frowned on by garden purists but they work
so I often wonder about how we end up doing the things that we do.
For example, I've often planted into weed piles and that grows a crop
and I now plant all potatoes in a hay bed and that works too.