Old 07-01-2007, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Horse Manure

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

I get an attack of the irritations every time I see advice about

the
'need' to rot horse manure..I always wonder about whether the

person
giving the advice has ever experiemented or is just parroting book
learning.

It doesn't need rotting at all, ever. It may need some judicious
thought about placement but it can go on some spot or other in the
garden straight from the end of the horse's alimentary canal. I

know
because I've used it that fresh and never found any detrimental
effect. It may not look pretty and the well rotted stuff does

look
prettier but with mulch on top, who cares or will even notice?

I have a small muck heap near the stables and a big one in the

corner of
the paddock but at this time of year when the ground is wet I have
chucked it straight onto the garden or any available bit of ground,

it
has never caused any problems I just dont usually admit to doing it

:-)

Atta girl! Now stop that coyness and start singing the praises of
pure horse poop loud and long. For too long pure horse poop has had a
bad reputation and you and I both know that such a reputation is
totally undeserved, it's time we true believers educated the benighted
:-))))

horse poop is wonderful stuff for the simple reason is its free round these
parts and readily available. Whenever I need some horse poop I simply stop
by a stable who bag it up at the roadside. Free and constant. I have laid
straight poop directly in to garden beds before and let it rot in situ over
winter. If worried about weed seeds mulch it, I used old carpet so the weeds
can germninate but die from lack of sunlight. Stuff that comes mixed with
wood chip (huckery hunks of pine) I do age as I use it as a fertiliser come
spring and don't want fresh wood chip in gardens during the growing season.
I have used woodchip poop as mulch under hedges and the hedge has done ok
out of it.

rob