Old 09-01-2007, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Horse Manure

"Peter James" wrote in message
s.com...
On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 02:44:30 +0000, Jack wrote

When I was a small lad, and evacuated to Cardiff during the war, I lived
with
my grand-mother. In those days there were many, many horses on the roads,
pulling tradesman's carts mainly. Every time a cart went past, grannie
would shoot out onto the street with a bucket and spade kept for that
purpose
and collect the horse manure deposited on the road by the passing horse.
The
manure then went straight onto her rhubarb and vegetables. And by god, I
remember her rhubarb tart to this day. It didn't do me any harm, and it
was
normal practice in the street where she lived. In fact it used to be
quite a
competition to see who could get out there first. Happy days.

:-))

Ah happy Days!!

I was in Kingston on Thames and then in Beer in South Devon. Happened in
both those places as well :-))

Country wide practice I would think.

Mike

--