Old 09-01-2007, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default Horse Manure

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
and if you are organic make
sure that the horse owners are not giving the horses medication, I
think
that we have discussed this topic before and I am still not sure
how
long it takes the drugs to become safe.

I'd be more concerned but not very much concerned about possible
hormone weedkillers on the straw. Without doing any research I would
guess that the horses wouldn't be excreting any significant amounts of
medicines. If most of the medcine wasn't metabolised that would be a
wasted vet's bill wouldn't it?

yes you are probably right, my little mare is on hormone drugs but she
is quite small.I do however still warn anyone who wants the manure and
it is up to them. Not many people do want it tho, they are happy if I
bag it up and deliver but I am tired of that game and don't do it any
more. It just rots down in the corner of the field, one day I might
plant that corner up and it should be amazing :-)

I'm quite happy to collect it from our local stables, well, about 4 miles
away.

It comes free and is a godsend.

Alan