Old 24-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Suja

Default Snapdragons, Pansies

Darby Wiggins wrote:

I saw a plant called a Snapdragon that says it would be good to add
height to a garden. Approx. how tall will this grow and does it need
staking? The picture was not really great and the plant had few blooms
on it now, but when in bloom, are they big, small? It looked to me like
a mini Stocks....??? Is this plant pretty hardy? partial sun/full sun
ect?

My experience with snapdragons has been good. I *love* the way they
look, they add some spikiness to the garden and come in some lovely
colors. In our area, they do fine if they get lots of morning sun, but
is in the shade in the afternoon. They don't get very tall, however,
and generally, I've seen them top out some where between 12 -18 inches.

Also, I saw some nice pansies. I shy away from them as they just seem so
delicate to me. I tend to like hearty plants as I don't want a garden of
wilted and sorry flowers. Are pansies as fragile as they appear? Could I
use them say, in front of the Snapdragons and mix them with Impatients,
or would the Impatients grow to be too tall and thus be best for any
pansies to be down in front? Are they sun lovers - full/partial ect?

Pansies are not delicate at all. But, they do best in cool weather. I
don't know if you've noticed, but you'll see lots of pansies in bloom
around here for the next month or two, and then they'll vanish. The
heat in this area stops them from blooming once we really get into
summmer. But, they're wonderful for adding color in the cooler months.

Both pansies and snapdragons are treated as annuals in this area. Even
if you don't buy from them, try popping in on Merrifield to check out
the plants and find out how well they'll do in your little garden. The
folks there generally give good advice.

Suja