Old 21-01-2007, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Roses for hot, dry summers

"22brix" wrote in message
I'd like some suggestions for roses that do well in hot, dry
climates. I live in non-coastal Northern California--zone 9--so we
have relatively mild damp winters with potentially very hot dry
weather in the summer.

The area I'm thinking of planting is not huge so I'm mainly looking
for medium sized plants.

I'm looking for:
1. strong fragrance
2.disease resistance (aren't we all!)
3. more compact as opposed to sprawling roses
4. repeat bloomers since this will be in front of our house
5. flowers that will hold up in the heat.
6. most any color except out and out orange--I do like blends

I'm not set on any one type of rose, i.e. hybrid teas, floribundas,
shrub-in fact I kind of like a mix.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Bonnie
Interior Mendocino County, CA Zone 9

I'm in Zone 8, but the last two summers here
have been hot (temps in high 90s, low 100s)
with lots of sun and drought. I don't spray
my roses and some will get some blackspot,
but not enough to be worrisome. My roses that
have done well and fit your criteria include:

Purple Heart, Floribunda [dark mauve]
Marilyn Monroe, Hybrid Tea [yellow blend]
Scentimental, Floribunda [red & white striped]
Moonstone, Hybrid Tea [white, pink edges]
Rose de Rescht, Damask or Portland [reddish pink]
Souvenir de la Malmaison, Bourbon [pink]

My color descriptions aren't great, so you might
check photos at www.helpmefind.com to get a
better idea of what these roses look like.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8