Old 25-03-2003, 12:08 AM
DGiunti

Default Snapdragons, Pansies

In article , Darby Wiggins writes:

I saw a plant called a Snapdragon that says it would be good to add
height to a garden. Approx. how tall will this grow and does it need
staking? The picture was not really great and the plant had few blooms
on it now, but when in bloom, are they big, small? It looked to me like
a mini Stocks....??? Is this plant pretty hardy? partial sun/full sun
ect?

Snapdragons are one of the flowers that you can keep in bloom by removing
the spent blooms. Once the petals fall, snip off the flower at the stem. I
usually just use my thumb and first finger as the shears. You want to remove
the flower's ovary as well. Usually by the time the flower falls some bee has
pushed it's way into the dragon and fertilized it, and that causes a round
swelling (the ovary) at the base of the flower. You want to be sure to remove
this too! Once a few of these appear the plant thinks that it's work is done
and happily goes to seed, and dies.

If you are good at keeping after the old flowers, you can keep them blooming
partially till the next freeze, though the flower stalks can get to look a
little leggy after a while, but you can snip them off and others will appear
too.

David Giunti email: unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk