Old 29-01-2007, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_2_] Robert[_2_] is offline

Default Would anyone care to remind us idiots, when to plant seeds?

Alan Holmes wrote:
: I never know when to start planting things and I'm sure there must be
: others who would also welcome a reminder of what to sow, and when.
:
: So, who is going to volunteer?
:
: Alan

Broad beans can go in now as can a late planting of carlic and shallots.
Generally speaking I wat for the annual weeds to start growing before I
start with the smaller seed. IMO even parsnips do better when planted after
the ground has warmed up and will far outdo any survivors from a February
sowing. If in doubt wait till April but it depends on how the weather is. If
there's still ice or frost about, wait a little longer. Potatoes can go in
late Feb onwards as long as you have fleece etc., to protect the tops from
late frosts